Characters: Cid, Scathe, Fayde, Basta, Darrow
Game Date: 08/01/12
Aryth 4, 998YK
- Scene opens with the team crouched down behind a ridge that is overlooking a wide open plane about 3 days march from WinterHaven. Below them is a scene that brings both fury and fear to their souls.
- An army about 5000 strong is laid out in the field below readying for war. The banners of Lord Francis and the Emerald Claw fly in the wind.
- While discussions of asneak attack by the team were discussed it was voted down due to the overwhelming numbers.
- A Drake on patrol notices the group and heads in the investigate
- Darrow being the hunter and naturally the ionly one to fail his stealth check decides to full on pray to
- (God of the Hunt) - and confronts the Drake as a wandering hunter. This succeeds and the Drake, bored with his job and not interested in a puny half elf hunter, carries on.
- The Team ride hard to WinterHaven to ready the town as best they can for the coming Onslaught.
- The team each breaks upon their enterance to the town to head to each of their respective contacts and do what they can to get help.
- Cid uses House Sivis to contact the Speaker of the Silver Flame for Support in return for the team’s help. He also drops a line to King Kiaus III to let him know whats happening and see if he can lend a hand.
- Fayde starts to rally the civilians into a more organized militia along with Sgt Jacobs Troops
- Basta dives into his book remembering something at the mansion that allowed the control of the lava/magma flow.
- Scathe heads off to Uncle Yari at the ddocks and convinces him to not just stand by and play it safe, to instead fight along with them in the best way his guild knows how…sneaky like. He convinces them to infiltrate the enemy army and spread discourse and the odd food poisoning to slow them down from the inside.
- Darrow convenes with Rorsa and her wolf pack and gets her to gather some of the mystical and more intelligent creatures in the forest to fight along with them.
- The idea is found that if they take out the bridge a day away that is the only major crossing for the army to use it should buy them few more days.
- They go to the bridge and set up a trap on it so that when the army starts to cross it will blow. Being Spring, the water is high and fording the river would be difficult, building a bridge will take time, its a good solid pllan.
- Lord Francis agreed it would be and had an advanced squad of Trolls and Shockcats, ready to defend the bridge should he need to.
- They won the fight for the bridge and managed to Arm it. Reports came in that it had worked and buys them a couple days.
- The next two days are filled with training the troops, activating a lava moat that will at least protect the front of the city and keeping eveyone focused on the plan despite the overwhlming odds the mood was high and the city seemed to forget any prejudices it ever had. They were united as one against a force that was coming for them.
- On the fourth day they come out of the Colour Animal Inn from one of their War Council Meetings a little discouraged. Lord Francis was two days away from completeing their new bridge, and therefore only three days away from the city. It was not boding well for WinterHaven. As they stepped out into the daylight they notice a large dark shadow blacken out the sun. The Alarm sounds and they begin to scramble the troops, then they notice the 5 Airships flying to dock at the Tower, they are flying the flags of the Silver Flame, The Houses Orion, Cannith and Lyrandar, and the flag of Breland.
- Captain Guntar of House Lyrandar approaches them and offers his support on “loan” from the three Houses you have helped a few times and used very little, he also informs you of his surprise guests he has brought along: Lord Fargo approaches with a smile and offers you his “private security force” as help; Bishop Xavier of the Silver Flame walks forward with a smile and grasps Cid in a tight hug and offers The Speakers thanks and troops to help; And Veln, the Prophecier walks forward and solomnlly greets them all and says he needs to speak with the five alone.
- Veln takes them all to a private room and starts to talk about the prophecy. As he does the room goes dark and sigils and runes starts to flow and weave in colours throughout the room. His voice starts to echo through the room as if to consume everything, when he finishes speaking the candles flare back up and the deafening silence that encompassed the room dissipates. Veln explains that this battle is the one he is certain begins the prophecy, that everything up to this point was training and set up. That it was all leading to now.
- He warns of the challenges to come and that he would be only an observer from here on, that he would help as he could, yet the PCs made him realize manipulating the prophecy is sometimes more dangerous than letting it happen as he was too close to pushing you away.
- The increased support in the town has raised Moral and all is as ready as it can be when the army of Lord Francis and Emerald Claw arrive.
- A few days later, on Aryth 11, 998YK, the day 2 years ago that the Treaty of Trhonehold was signed officially ending The Last War, The Army of Lord Francis and his Emerald Claw Allies Arrive and Prep on the North field that rolls up to the City.
- Though it is winter and the snow it blowing; between the spells cast by the enemy troops and the Magma moat flowing in front of the city the air is unseasonably warm.
- The battle is truely epic and losses are felt on both sides.
- Even Franklin takes part on one of the safe rampart towers watching the East Main gate of the city for any sneak attacks.
- As the day battles on the WinterHaven defenders are winning the day. Then the final wave comes in and stops on the field. It pushes through any of the remaining skirmishes on the field cutting down anyone who steps in their path, reguardless of the side they fight for. It is Lord Francis. He calls out the heroes directly to face him.
- They do of course. The Heroes Take on Lord Francis’ unit with anger and zeal. Thought the battle is harsh and Basta takes a beating they prevail. Darrow unleashes a flurry of arrows directly at Lord Francis and they pass right through hhim. The Illusion that was once there shatters and dissipates and then they hear the screams of terror from the city behind them. They turn to seem Francis on the back of a great Skeletal Dragon as it destroys the ring strut on one of the airships docked at the tower and it crashes to the city, the flame elemental released and adding to the chaos. Francis jumps off the dragon and sends it to the heroes as he starts too slaughter the militia defending the wall of the city.
- The Heroes finish off with the elite unti infront of them and Darrow shows why he is truely a Hunter as he downs the dragon reafirming the he is the master and it is but the beast.
- The team loses site of Francis as theyy finish off the battle and rush to teh city. A flash of him appears as an image in tehir collective minds thanks to the rings they share….the only one left with a ring though is….Franklin.
- The realization of the danger his ward is in Cid leads the charge up teh tower to the top, He burst forth into tehh smolding daylight to see Francis standing proudly waiting for him. bodys strewn about him and one final one writhing in desperation llocked in a deadly grip at the end of him outstreched arm. Franklin.
- Cid orders him to let the boy go, venom, hatred, and anguish are mixed in his bellow. Francis simply laughs.
- Darrow takes a shot at Francis and gets him in the arm. Francis tosses the boy at Cid, the team focuses on Franklin who is not breathing and has dark red and purple marks on his neck.
- Scathe recovers first along with Basta and tells him to charge the bastard Francis.
- Francis who is off balance still is knocked over the edge of the tower by Basta and falls screaming with hatered into the Lava moat below.
- The Battle is won.
- The focus goes back to Cid and in his arms Franklin, spells, salves, potions all have no effect, a tear falls from Cids cheek onto Franklin’s face and Cid’s amulet his mother left him starts to shimmer from an internal light.
- The light flares so brightly that those who were there swear they could ‘hear’ it, when the light subsides Franklin’s eyes flutter open and he gasps weakly, “Whath everyone looking at. I thought I would die before I would get to thay that Bathta is thtill a thon of a bitch.” Then he passes into peaceful sleep.
- “Basta push him off the f&$%^ng ledge before he gets a chance to monologue!” – Scathe to Basta when they meet Lord Francis on the Tower.